Renovating a bathroom is exciting, especially when you get to see your vision come to life. However, there are a lot of decisions to be made during a home remodel, and you want to make sure you’re making the best decisions for your needs, wants, and budget. Before the renovation begins, you want to fully plan and think up your new bathroom. You want your bathroom to be aesthetically pleasing, efficient and functional.
As a home renovation contractor, we wanted to share some tips and common bathroom renovation and design mistakes to avoid when designing your bathroom, so you will be happier with the outcome of your newly designed and built bathroom.
- Make sure the bathroom has at least one window, even if it’s a skylight. You want natural light coming into the bathroom, so it isn’t so dark all the time with no air circulation.
- If possible, try not to locate the bathroom directly off one of the home’s shared spaces (living room, kitchen, dining room, etc.) Why? You want some separation. It’s not so great to be sitting down at the kitchen table with a view of a toilet.
- Avoid making the toilet the first thing anyone sees in the bathroom. You could even put the toilet in its own room (or have a wall divider), so someone can take a shower while someone else uses the toilet.
- Avoid making your bathroom look smaller with big, blocky showers. Opt for a curbless shower, which will help make the bathroom feel more open and bigger.
- Bigger isn’t always better. You want to focus on great design and functionality first. Don’t add things if they aren’t needed. If you design your bathroom for its function and purpose and space, it will look great.
Avoiding some of the above points can help you design a better-looking and functioning bathroom. Any common mistakes we didn’t list that you want to know or discuss? Let us know and we can talk to you about it.
At Sunset Builders & Maintenance, we are experts in bathroom renovation. We offer top-quality craftsmanship and service. We will help you design a bathroom to fit the space and reflect your needs and wants.
We do home renovations, including, kitchens, bathrooms, decks, stairs, and more, in Sanibel Island, Fort Myers and all surrounding Southwest Florida areas. We also provide maintenance services on home. Call us at 239-233-2152 or click Fort Myers bathroom remodeling page to view some of our remodeling projects and learn more.