When deciding to remodel a bathroom, one of the first things you should think about is the bathroom’s purpose. Is this bathroom for one person? Are kids using this bathroom? Are guests using this bathroom? Is the entire family using this bathroom? For this article, we’re focusing on family bathrooms in the home.
If you’re thinking about renovating a family bathroom, there are certain elements you should think about incorporating for a room that is highly used.
- Think about different types of storage – you likely have a lot of different items to store away. If you have young children, design low shelves and cabinets they can reach, but also design out-of-reach storage for things they shouldn’t have access to.
- If space is an issue, opt for a shower-tub combo, especially if you have young children who need to take baths.
- Choose a single-hole sink faucet instead of separate handles so children are less likely to burn themselves. Lever faucets are easy for kids to operate.
- Choose easy-to-clean surfaces. Install flat-front cabinets without handles so dirt and dust won’t build up. Install easy-to-wipe tiles on the walls. Get your grout sealed to minimize dirt or install tiles with minimal joints.
- Choose a water-resistant floor. If you like wood floors, choose a wood-effect porcelain tile that won’t get destroyed by the bathroom’s moisture. Smooth vinyl floors are better for kids, so they won’t hurt themselves as much on it, plus vinyl floors are easy to clean.
- Install towel hooks and/or bars so children can hang wet towels.
- Purchase a chair for the bathroom to sit down while your kids are in the tub. You can pic a chair that matches the décor and vibe of the rest of the room.
These are just a few ideas to help you brainstorm what you want to put in your family bathroom. We have experience renovating all different kinds of bathrooms.
We can’t wait to hear about your family bathroom renovation ideas. We have years of experience, and will work with you every step of the way.
At Sunset Builders & Maintenance, we do home kitchen renovations, bathroom renovations, home maintenance, and more, in Sanibel Island, Fort Myers and all surrounding Southwest Florida areas. Call us at 239-233-2152 to get started, or click Fort Myers bathroom remodeling page to view some of our remodeling projects and learn more.